Friday, July 2, 2010

Answers to questions I never want to be asked again.

What is Genocide?

Genocide is my full-length novel. It's a fantasy set in modern day dealing with a corporation cloning a religious figure. In response Trad Jenisis sets out to find the real truth of the earth landing him in Jerusalem to uh...kill somebody.

What is The Gamer?

The Gamer is a memoir of myself growing up with the video game industry. More of a personal telling with games as the main subject matter, I show just how nerds were before GTAIII showed up and I realised I wasn't hardcore anymore.

What is Phoenix?

Phoenix is my second novel detailing a futuristic North America and vampires living alongside humans as a respected minority. Unfortunately Vampires are sick of laws and a police force designed to only contain them and team up with werewolves to put humans in internment camps. Think Final Fantasy VII's midgar as the continent of NA and you know why the book is cool.

Wow sounds awesome can I read your work?

NO! Nothing against you, but the books are not published and they very well never will be. I once did send it out to people, but I kept changing the manuscripts to the point where you never had the final version. They don't need massive editing, but the light bulb just goes off in my head and I want to change something. If you want to read it, harass agents and editors and tell them to get in touch with me. I try and they never listen, but I guess if there's a big enough fanbase, they would give me a shot.

How did you get into games journalism?

Honestly? It's a pain in the ass. I started my sophomore year of college working for the now defunct Video Game Maniacs. From there I went to various publications that would showcase my (opinionated) work. When I finished college, despite knowing some Japanese and having degrees in English (fiction literature...obviously not grammer cuz mine sucks) no place would give me the time of day, let alone freelance assignments. I recently started up with Future Publications and GamesRadar who saw SOMETHING in me...though I dunno if that was legitmate or a drug-induced sighting. From there I'm still trying to get better. Future takes good care of their freelances and they are some of the best people to work for. I'm finally getting things going.

Hey I read your blog! Put in a word for me

Sorry, but no. I hate people who don't pay their dues. Go work for a lackluster publication and get good. I got lucky but did most of the work myself. You'll be a better person in the long run knowing you scratched and clawed to get a foot in the door, rather than a free hand-out. Go to conferences like PAX where you can meet journalists face to face and offer your services. Most of the time if they see something in you, they'll make an investment for a future return...or so I'm told.

Why are you an asshole?

Because I don't like you.

What's wrong with video games in Pat's opinion?

Too many FPS's and non-linear games. Nothing wrong with them, but I like me a story with characters contained once in awhile. When developers do it that way-they mess it up and it gets more rare for someone to try it. The variety is lacking in this day and age due to rising development costs thanks to Final Fantasy VII. I miss the old traditional days with levels and continues. None of this save point, get to the end bullcrap. Games are still fun, but they lack a lot of making you implement your imagination like they used to.

What's your favorite system and game(s)

Favorite System: Super Nintendo

Favorite Games: (in order) Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania III, Zelda OAC, Secret of Mana, Mortal Kombat II, Ninja Gaiden (NES).

Note: While FFVII is my second favorite game of all time, my favorite Final Fantasy is a tie between IV and VI.

I'll add more as more common questions come availible.

No comments:

Post a Comment